Stand Up's iCAN program provides high quality tutoring, leadership and self-development workshops and one-on-one mentoring to Sudanese students in years 10-12, assisting them to reach their full potential in school and future pathways. BLOOM along with the youth empowerment team at Stand Up have developed and are currently implementing the 'Leadership and Self-development' stream of the program. Below is an outline of the course.
- To strengthen the participants sense of self
- To enhance self-confidence and self-awareness
- To nurture their ambition and ability to actively shape their own lives and that of their communities
- To cultivate their leadership potential
Scope & sequence
1. Introduction day
The following workshops were run during our introductory day seminar:
- Icebreakers and get to know each other
- What is Leadership?
- A look at the year ahead: Setting goals and time capsule
2. ICAN SEMINAR
The following workshops were run during our immersive weekend leadership & self development seminar:
- Icebreakers and expectations
- Identity: what makes me, me?
- Analysing and developing character strengths
- Teamwork: the rocket ship program
- Empowering youth and making a difference
- Looking ahead as a leader
3. ican workshops
The following workshops are run as two hour workshops on weekends spread throughout terms 2-4.
- The Pygmalion Effect
- Critical Thinking
- The power of choice
- Being a personal example and role model
- Pursuing dreams and passions